Re: pgsql: Avoid archiving XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS on idle server - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: pgsql: Avoid archiving XLOG_RUNNING_XACTS on idle server
Date
List pgsql-committers
On 4 April 2016 at 07:49, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> It doesn't?

Nope, clearly in the code 2 lines above.

For that matter, it's also important for hot standby; to deal with
FATALed transactions which didn't write an abort record. It's kinda
important to call StandbyReleaseOldLocks for those.  And if a standby is
in STANDBY_SNAPSHOT_READY it's also important to see this kind of
record.

Those objections apply to all solutions to the problem so far proposed, likely any solution. My understanding was that those issues are considered the lesser of the two evils. I'm happy to revert this patch, as long as we agree that it also blocks all further "bug fixes" so far proposed based upon those arguments.

Additionally, we're now logging more WAL if archive timeout isn't
configured, which doesn't strike me as a good idea.

That's not true either...

Thanks for your comments, but you seem to be misreading the patch with respect to the if clause and new brackets.

I suggest we give this some hours of thought before discussing it further.