Re: [HACKERS] generated columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: [HACKERS] generated columns
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 at 07:58, Erikjan Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl> wrote:

I have also noticed that logical replication isn't possible on tables
with a generated column.  That's a shame but I suppsoe that is as
expected.

Couldn't see anything like that in the patch. Presumably unintended consequence. The generated value needs to be in WAL, so decoding it should be trivial.

Virtual columns wouldn't need to be replicated.

I guess we might choose to replicate generated cols as a value, or leave them out and let them be generated on the downstream side. The default should be to just treat them as a value.