Error message inconsistency - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Error message inconsistency
Date
List pgsql-hackers
As noted by a PostgreSQL user to me, error messages for NOT NULL constraints are inconsistent - they do not mention the relation name in the message, as all other variants of this message do. e.g.

postgres=# create table nn (id integer not null);
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# insert into nn values (NULL);
ERROR: null value in column "id" violates not-null constraint
DETAIL: Failing row contains (null).

postgres=# create table nn2 (id integer check (id is not null));
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# insert into nn2 values (NULL);
ERROR: new row for relation "nn2" violates check constraint "nn2_id_check"
DETAIL: Failing row contains (null).

I propose the attached patch as a fix, changing the wording (of the first case) to
ERROR: null value in column "id" for relation "nn" violates not-null constraint

It causes breakage in multiple tests, which is easy to fix once/if we agree to change.

Thanks

Attachment