Re: Recognizing superuser in pg_hba.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Recognizing superuser in pg_hba.conf
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 at 23:55, Vik Fearing <vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 08/01/2020 23:13, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 2020-01-06 17:03, Tom Lane wrote:
>> So it's not clear to me whether we have any meeting of the minds
>> on wanting this patch.
>
> This fairly far-ranging syntax reorganization of pg_hba.conf doesn't
> appeal to me.  pg_hba.conf is complicated enough conceptually for
> users, but AFAICT nobody ever complained about the syntax or the
> lexical structure specifically.  Assigning meaning to randomly chosen
> special characters, moreover in a security-relevant file, seems like
> the wrong way to go.
>
> Moreover, this thread has morphed from what it says in the subject
> line to changing the syntax of pg_hba.conf in a somewhat fundamental
> way.  So at the very least someone should post a comprehensive summary
> of what is being proposed, instead of just attaching patches that
> implement whatever was discussed across the thread.

What is being proposed is what is in the Subject and the original
patch.  The other patch is because Tom didn't like "the continuing creep
of pseudo-reserved database and user names" so I wrote a patch to mark
such reserved names and rebased my original patch on top of it.  Only
the docs changed in the rebase.  The original patch (or its rebase) is
what I am interested in.

Hopefully there will be no danger of me gaining access if I have a crafted rolename?

postgres=# create role "&backdoor";

CREATE ROLE

--
Simon Riggs                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/