Re: numbering plan nodes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: numbering plan nodes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 17 September 2015 at 13:14, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

My main concern with this design is how future-proof it is.

Passing array offsets sounds brittle to me.

It would screw up any attempts to post-process the plans. Later enhancements seem certain to break that scheme.

It also assumes that all actors have access to a single memory structure that describes everything.

Hopefully we are working on a parallel query system that will work intranode as well as across nodes, so access to memory should not be assumed.