Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Support for N synchronous standby servers - take 2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 5 April 2016 at 11:23, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

>> > explain how the k responses should be gathered as an extension to the
>> > the
>> > syntax. I also think implementing “any k” is actually fairly trivial and
>> > could be done for 9.6 (rather than just "first k").
>>
>> +1 for 'first/any k (...)', with possibly only 'first' supported for now,
>> if the 'any' case is more involved than we would like to spend time on,
>> given the time considerations. IMHO, the extra keyword adds to clarity of
>> the syntax.
>

> Further thoughts:
>
> I said "any k" was faster, though what I mean is both faster and more
> robust. If you have network peaks from any of the k sync standbys then the
> user will wait longer. With "any k", if a network peak occurs, then another
> standby response will work just as well. So the performance of "any k" will
> be both faster, more consistent and less prone to misconfiguration.
>
> I also didn't explain why I think it is easy to implement "any k".
>
> All we need to do is change SyncRepGetOldestSyncRecPtr() so that it returns
> the k'th oldest pointer of any named standby.

s/oldest/newest ?

Sure

> Then use that to wake up user
> backends. So the change requires only slightly modified logic in a very
> isolated part of the code, almost all of which would be code inserts to cope
> with the new option.

Yes. Probably we need to use some time to find what algorithm is the best
for searching the k'th newest pointer.

I think we would all agree an insertion sort would be the fastest for k ~ 2-5, no much discussion there.

We do already use that in this section of code, namely SHMQueue.

> The syntax and doc changes would take a couple of
> hours.

Yes, the updates of documentation would need more time.

I can help, if you wish that.

"any k" is in my mind what people would be expecting us to deliver with this feature, which is why I suggest it now, especially since it is a small additional item.

Please don't see these comments as blocking your progress to commit.