Re: Tomcat JDBC Connection Pool interfaces to PostgreSQL... - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Eric Neron
Subject Re: Tomcat JDBC Connection Pool interfaces to PostgreSQL...
Date
Re: Tomcat JDBC Connection Pool interfaces to PostgreSQL...  (Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com>)
List pgsql-jdbc
Thanks Dave for your quick response...

You are cheating a little bit since you are using the DBSimpleDataSource...  (which according to the Doc "Simple DataSource which does not perform connection pooling").

As I explained in my email I am using the

org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.DataSource

and this one (again according to the Doc "The JDBC Connection Pool org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool is a replacement or an alternative to the Apache Commons DBCP connection pool").

This is from this one that I do not seem to be able to access the PGConnection object...

So does your answer is some sort of "It is on the Tomcat side"?

Granted that the issue sits either on the PostgreSQL, Tomcat, or my side.  I am just surprised that it is so difficult to make this work properly, given that I use Tomcat (a fairly widely used Application Server), PostgreSQL (a fairly widely used DB engine), the combination of the two (which I also suspect is fairly widely used) and that I seem to be the only one having this issue!  It is like saying that printf does not work on this particular C compiler...  I must not be the only one trying to use the combination of Tomcat Connection pooling with a PostgreSQL DB engine; this simply cannot be the case!

Strangely, when using the Netbeans debugger to examine the Connection that is returned by the Tomcat Connection Pooling engine, I see:

poolConn = (com.sun.proxy.$Proxy77) ProxyConnection[PooledConnection[org.postgresql.jdbc.PgConnection@1b712b5e]]

So the PgConnection is there buried somewhere underneath the ProxyConnection/PooledConnection objects.  If I could find a way to access it, my problems would be solved, since according to the Doc, it implements all the Interfaces I need to have access to (PGConnection & BaseConnection):