Re: Framework for 0 downtime deploys - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nikolay Samokhvalov
Subject Re: Framework for 0 downtime deploys
Date
List pgsql-general
No silver bullets exist (yet). A couple of things I can recommend:

1. GitLab's experience of changing schema without downtime and maintaining backward compatibility – they have open documentation and a lot of things solved and documented
    - check their migration_helpers.rb, plenty of useful things there

2. What my team and I are doing with respect to database migration testing: https://postgres.ai/. We created Database Lab Engine, an open-source tool to clone databases of any size in seconds and test, manually or automatically in CI, anything you want using "full-size" databases. It can help you catch and block dangerous changes leading to downtime, as well as (if you have a well-maintained set of tests for CI) enforce the backward compability.

Nik