Installation tutorial should be much more simple for newbies - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Nikolay Samokhvalov
Subject Installation tutorial should be much more simple for newbies
Date
List pgsql-docs
Hi there.

This is a question that I wanted to raise for a long time.

For years, from many people I've heard *many* times that PostgreSQL docs are complicated for those who are just starting to use Postgres (or even databases in general).

Recently, again, I had a couple of conversations with possible-Postgres-users who had complaints about current Postgres docs.

We all love current docs for their good structure and clearness.

But if you a noob, they will really hurt you.

In this email I'll touch only one example – installation.

All one can briefly catch from this page is ..a link to Chapter 15. Installation from Source Code.

It's 2014 but we still thinking  that the major way to install is configure&&make&&make install, heh?
But that's exactly what current documentation is saying to new users:
If you are installing PostgreSQL yourself, then refer to Chapter 15 for instructions on installation

Like no other options exist.

I am absolutely sure that newbie expects here something very simple. It should be apt-get install or yum install, etc. But all he can quickly find now in docs is frightening *short* version located at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/install-short.html. Check it.

I SUGGEST:
1) to put very short lines of installation on most popular systems like Debian/Ubuntu, RedHat/CentOS, FreeBSD or MacOS or Windows right into the main tutorial page
2) to split the page "1.1. Installation" into two sections:
  a. how to get PostgreSQL binaries and
  b. how to install from source code,
mentioning that the first way is better for start (and it really is -- for a new user), while the latter requires additional software (like gcc) to be installed on the system.

I'm pretty sure that somebody with better English with me could write this much better than me, but if no one has time for it at the moment I could do it myself (expecting corrections afterwards).

This issue is very important to the project since PostgreSQL usage continues to spread to wide range of users of various technical levels. It is one of our "bottle necks" in new user acquisition process.