Re: Upgrade 9.5 cluster on Ubuntu 16.04 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nikolay Samokhvalov
Subject Re: Upgrade 9.5 cluster on Ubuntu 16.04
Date
List pgsql-general
Logical way – dump/restore.

Bringing PGDATA physically may lead to corrupted indexes due to glibc version changes. 16.04 -> 18.04 shouldn't cause it, but it may. You can check btree index with amcheck and GIN indexes with a patched version of it (some backporting would be needed). You can find examples here: https://gitlab.com/-/snippets/2001962

But back to the question, if you do dump/restore, indexes will be freshly created, on new machine - therefore there is no question about corruption for them. I'd choose this path in your situation.