Re: EDB installer should check for valid %COMSPEC% - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sandeep Thakkar
Subject Re: EDB installer should check for valid %COMSPEC%
Date
List pgsql-general
We may make the changes in the installer so that it displays the COMSPEC value in the error message itself. Currently, we can get it's value from the installer log.

But, I wonder why the installer threw the error when the manual run "%COMSPEC%" /c echo "test ok" returned fine. Let's see what the installer log says.

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 11/19/2012 05:14 PM, Dave Page wrote:
check %COMSPEC% to see if it really
> points to cmd.exe .
Interesting - thanks for the info Craig. Sandeep; can you please look
into adding such a check to the installer. We already test the
VBscript interpreter, so this should go in the same place.
I've just seen a Stack Overflow report related to this that might be of interest. The user reports that the installer fails with:

" The environment variable COMPSPEC does not seem to point to the cmd.exe or there is a trailing semi colon present."

This appears to be a new message and they're using 9.2, so I'm guessing this was the test added. It doesn't appear to actually *mention the value of the COMSPEC environment variable* though. I've asked them for the installer log, but it'd be good to identify this in the message if possible.

The question of interest: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15287207/problems-installing-postgresql-9-2

Sandeep Thakkar
Senior Software Engineer
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise Postgres Company
Phone: +91.20.30589523

Website: www.enterprisedb.com
EnterpriseDB Blog: http://blogs.enterprisedb.com/
Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/enterprisedb

This e-mail message (and any attachment) is intended for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. This message contains information from EnterpriseDB Corporation that may be privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or authorized to receive this for the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, retention, archiving, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.