SSL Compression - doesn't work? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Krystian Bigaj
Subject SSL Compression - doesn't work?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I'm wondering how, and if SSL compression works correctly.

Here is how I tested it:
- PostgreSQL 9.3.4 x86 on Windows 7 x64
- .crt/.key files by openssl, and placed in database cluster folder
- postgres.exe ran with: --ssl="on" --ssl_cert_file="test.crt" --ssl_key_file="test.key"
- connection made by pgadmin with SSL=prefer, SSL Compression=True
- when connected I see in properties: Encryptions=SSL encrypted, SSL Compression=yes
- I've dumped TCP transfer and I can tell that data is encrypted

Now when I run query like:
SELECT lpad('', 1024*1024, 'A')

then I see that there is a TCP transfer of 1,01MB (so 1MB of string data, and some pg header/data).

If I turn off SSL Compression data transfer between postgres and pgadmin is still 1,01MB (but in properties I see SSL Compression=no)

It looks like SSL compression doesn't work, or am I missing something?

Best regards,
Krystian Bigaj