Re: what is the solution like oracle DB's datafile - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Yudianto Prasetyo
Subject Re: what is the solution like oracle DB's datafile
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

dafafile this oracle like this example. can be added to another hdd.

ALTER TABLESPACE lmtbsb
    ADD DATAFILE '/u02/oracle/data/lmtbsb02.dbf' SIZE 1M;

ALTER TABLESPACE lmtbsb
    ADD DATAFILE '/u03/oracle/data/lmtbsb02.dbf' SIZE 1M;

ALTER TABLESPACE lmtbsb
    ADD DATAFILE 'e:\data\lmtbsb02.dbf' SIZE 1M;

ALTER TABLESPACE lmtbsb
    ADD DATAFILE 'f:\data2\lmtbsb02.dbf' SIZE 1M;

i understand about that LVM solution. it is true that using this method can be done. I'm just asking for a solution at the database level.

thank you
Yours faithfully

yudianto

On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 9:17 PM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 08:51:02PM +0700, Yudianto Prasetyo wrote:

> thanks for other solutions in the operating system section. LVM, RAID is
> indeed one solution to this problem.
>
> Maybe there is another solution in the postgresql database like the
> datafile in oracle DB?

As I said I don't know how datafiles in oracle are working.  All you have on
postgres is tablespaces, default tablespaces and moving relations from one
tablespaces to another.

In general, postgres doesn't try to reimplement solution to problems that are
nicely solved at the operating system level, so if those datafile are
reimplementing something similar to LVM, then no postgres doesn't have
something like that and probably doesn't want it.