Re: what is the solution like oracle DB's datafile - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Yudianto Prasetyo
Subject Re: what is the solution like oracle DB's datafile
Date
List pgsql-general
hello,

thanks for other solutions in the operating system section. LVM, RAID is indeed one solution to this problem.

Maybe there is another solution in the postgresql database like the datafile in oracle DB?

thank you,
Yours faithfully

yudianto

On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 8:44 PM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:
I already asked you once to keep the list in copy.  Don't expect me to reply if
your next email is still addressed to me only.

On Sun, Jan 30, 2022 at 08:36:50PM +0700, Yudianto Prasetyo wrote:

> yes of course it can be done. but it is very inconvenient when the database
> is still running and most importantly it is not practical when having to
> move some objects to another tablespace. And this will also happen again
> when HDD 1 will be full again with data entry by other objects on HDD 1.

Then fix the problem at the operating system level.  On GNU/Linux you can use
for instance LVM to get more flexibility.  With it you can easily increase your
logical volume space without any interruption, and the database will only see a
regular disk that magically became bigger.  There is probably something similar
on the operating system you're using.  Of course, if you don't already use
something like that, you will need some maintenance window to move all data on
logical volumes.