Vacuum and Materialized view refresh slow - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vikas Sharma
Subject Vacuum and Materialized view refresh slow
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello There,

We have postgres 9.6 with 3 slaves replicated in synchronous commit.
 we recently migrated to to another cloud provider.  Though we have the same configuration for VMs and postgres, we are experiencing systemwide slowness with writes to database.

I am more concerned about a scheduled script to vacuum and refresh two Materialized views after every 5 minutes.
Time to refresh MV and vacuum has increased considerably and during this time a simple insert takes 10-15 seconds which normally should take milliseconds whereas with old provider that simple insert used to take not more than couple of seconds during refresh time.

I have seen the vacuum and refresh MV process showing as waiting for a {change location} sometimes for a fraction of seconds.

Could I be enlighted about what I can do to improve the performance to make write faster.

Best regards
Vikas