Re: meson: Non-feature feature options - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nazir Bilal Yavuz
Subject Re: meson: Non-feature feature options
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Wed, 15 Mar 2023 at 11:12, Peter Eisentraut

> On 14.03.23 15:07, Nazir Bilal Yavuz wrote:
> >> I think the uuid side of this is making this way too complicated.  I'm
> >> content leaving this as a manual option for now.
> >>
> >> There is much more value in making the ssl option work automatically.
> >> So I would welcome a patch that just makes -Dssl=auto work smoothly,
> >> perhaps using the "trick" that Andres described.
> > I tried to implement what we did for ssl to uuid as well, do you have
> > any comments?
>
> For the uuid option, we have three different choices.  What should be
> the search order and why?

Docs [1] say that: OSSP uuid library is not well maintained, and is
becoming increasingly difficult to port to newer platforms; so we can
put 'uuid-ossp' to the end. Between 'uuid-e2fs' and 'uuid-bsd', I
believe 'uuid-e2fs' is used more often than 'uuid-bsd'.
Hence, they can be ordered as 'uuid-e2fs', 'uuid-bsd', 'uuid-ossp'.

Does that make sense?

Regards,
Nazir Bilal Yavuz
Microsoft