Re: data modeling genes and alleles... help! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Modulok
Subject Re: data modeling genes and alleles... help!
Date
List pgsql-general
> Everything should have an id, and combination tables like person-gene should
> have the person id + the gene id.
> You might look at this tool to make your life easier:
> https://github.com/pgmodeler/pgmodeler
>
> First, read up on this:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity%E2%80%93relationship_model
> then, it will be obvious how to use the tool.

>> Everything should have an id, and combination tables like person-gene should
>> have the person id + the gene id.

Yes. The model provided is a minimal approximation of the actual model. The
real thing uses numeric id columns to link tables, as well as many constraints
to ensure valid input and about a hundred other tables. In the example I used
names as keys rather than numeric ID's to try and make it a little easier to
follow my intent. Perhaps this had the opposite effect.

-Modulok-