Re: ARRNELEMS Out-of-bounds possible errors - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nikita Malakhov
Subject Re: ARRNELEMS Out-of-bounds possible errors
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Even with null context it does not turn to ereport, and returns dummy value -

#define errsave_domain(context, domain, ...) \
do { \
struct Node *context_ = (context); \
pg_prevent_errno_in_scope(); \
if (errsave_start(context_, domain)) \
__VA_ARGS__, errsave_finish(context_, __FILE__, __LINE__, __func__); \
} while(0)

#define errsave(context, ...) \
errsave_domain(context, TEXTDOMAIN, __VA_ARGS__)

/*
 * "ereturn(context, dummy_value, ...);" is exactly the same as
 * "errsave(context, ...); return dummy_value;".  This saves a bit
 * of typing in the common case where a function has no cleanup
 * actions to take after reporting a soft error.  "dummy_value"
 * can be empty if the function returns void.
 */
#define ereturn_domain(context, dummy_value, domain, ...) \
do { \
errsave_domain(context, domain, __VA_ARGS__); \
return dummy_value; \
} while(0)

#define ereturn(context, dummy_value, ...) \
ereturn_domain(context, dummy_value, TEXTDOMAIN, __VA_ARGS__)

On Fri, Dec 23, 2022 at 11:40 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
At Fri, 23 Dec 2022 17:37:55 +0900 (JST), Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote in
> At Thu, 22 Dec 2022 12:35:58 -0300, Ranier Vilela <ranier.vf@gmail.com> wrote in
> > Hi.
> >
> > Per Coverity.
> >
> > The commit ccff2d2
> > <https://github.com/postgres/postgres/commit/ccff2d20ed9622815df2a7deffce8a7b14830965>,
> > changed the behavior function ArrayGetNItems,
> > with the introduction of the function ArrayGetNItemsSafe.
> >
> > Now ArrayGetNItems may return -1, according to the comment.
> > " instead of throwing an exception. -1 is returned after an error."
>
> If I'm reading the code correctly, it's the definition of
> ArrayGetNItems*Safe*. ArrayGetNItems() calls that function with a NULL
> escontext and the NULL turns ereturn() into ereport().

> That doesn't seem to be changed by the commit.

No.. It seems to me that the commit didn't change its behavior in that
regard.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center