9.2 beta1 libxml2 can't be loaded on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Edmund Horner
Subject 9.2 beta1 libxml2 can't be loaded on Windows
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hello, apologies if this is already in your radar.

I can successfully install the PostgreSQL 9.2 beta1 binaries on
Windows XP and successfully perform most queries.  However I've run
into some trouble with the XML support.

From a very cursory search I did not see anything changed since 9.1.3
that could affect this, so maybe it's just a build/packaging issue.

Cheers,
Edmund.

Version and environment:

PostgreSQL 9.2 beta1, binaries-only package
Windows XP SP3 32 bit

Steps:

  1. Install binaries.
  2. Start server.
  3. Open psql session to postgres database.
  4. Run query:  SELECT xml '<foo>bar</foo>';

Expected result:  query returns a single row like:

           xml
    ----------------
     <foo>bar</foo>

Actual result:

    postgres=# SELECT xml '<foo>bar</foo>';
    ERROR:  could not set up XML error handler
    LINE 1: select xml '<foo>bar</foo>';
                       ^
    HINT:  This probably indicates that the version of libxml2 being
used is not compatible with the
     libxml2 header files that PostgreSQL was built with.

postgres.exe does find and read part of libxml2.dll both at initial
server startup, and when psql connects for the first time.