Re: apply sum function after group by extract month date - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From James David Smith
Subject Re: apply sum function after group by extract month date
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hey there,

Is this what you are after? Note that I've changed the 'money' type to numeric.

create table testgroupsum (itemname varchar(50),date date,amount numeric);
set datestyle to DMY;
insert into testgroupsum (itemname,date,amount) values ('item
1','2013-01-01','100');
insert into testgroupsum (itemname,date,amount) values ('item
2','2013-01-10','35');
insert into testgroupsum (itemname,date,amount) values ('item
3','2013-02-20','50');
insert into testgroupsum (itemname,date,amount) values ('item
a','2013-01-25','-500');
insert into testgroupsum (itemname,date,amount) values ('item
b','2013-02-28','-20');

SELECT * FROM testgroupsum;

SELECT EXTRACT(month FROM(date)), SUM(amount) FROM testgroupsum GROUP
BY EXTRACT(month FROM(date));

-- Then if you want to put an dollar or whatever you could do this:

SELECT EXTRACT(month FROM(date)), '£' || SUM(amount) FROM testgroupsum
GROUP BY EXTRACT(month FROM(date));

DROP TABLE testgroupsum;

Regards

James