Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Separate log file for extension - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: [HACKERS] WIP: Separate log file for extension
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 25 August 2017 at 15:12, Antonin Houska <ah@cybertec.at> wrote:
Attached is a draft patch to allow extension to write log messages to a
separate file.

I like the idea a lot. I'm not so sure about the approach.

How will this play with syslog? csvlog? etc?

I wonder if a level of indirection is appropriate here, where extensions (or postgres subsystems, even) provide a log stream label. Then the logging backed takes care of using that appropriately for the logging mechanism in use; for logging to file that'd generally be separate files.  Same for CSVlog. Other mechanisms could be left as stubs initially.

So the outcome would be the same, just without the assumption of specific file name and output mechanism baked in.