Re: Patch: Implement failover on libpq connect level. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Patch: Implement failover on libpq connect level.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 7 November 2015 at 04:59, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I really wonder why we're not happy with the ability to substitute
> out just the host and IP.

I tend to agree. That solves 95% of the problem and doesn't foreclose
solving the other 5% some other way if someone really cares later.

I'd rather not see convoluted and complex connstrings, per my prior
post. The JDBC extended URL style seems good enough.

IMO the biggest problem is that client-side failover is way more
complex than "got -ECONNREFUSED, try next host". I think we're all
focusing on not being able to twiddle arbitrary settings while
ignoring the real problem with client failover, i.e. making it
actually work in the real world.