Re: Postgres with pthread - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Postgres with pthread
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 8 December 2017 at 03:58, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
On 2017-12-07 11:26:07 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> PostgreSQL's architecture conflates "connection", "session" and "executor"
> into one somewhat muddled mess.

How is the executor entangled in the other two?

Executor in the postgres sense isn't, so I chose the word poorly.

"Engine of execution" maybe. What I'm getting at is that we tie up more resources than should ideally be necessary when a session is idle, especially idle in transaction. But I guess a lot of that is really down to memory allocated and not returned to the OS (because like other C programs we can't do that), etc. The key resources like PGXACT entries aren't something we can release while idle in a transaction after all.