Re: Updated backup APIs for non-exclusive backups - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Updated backup APIs for non-exclusive backups
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 24 April 2016 at 23:49, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:

Fixing that means using something more complicated than the old method
and that's a bit of a pain in psql, but that doesn't mean we should tell
people that the old method is an acceptable approach.

+1

Frankly, I don't find doing backups with psql this way interesting. I'm a bit astonished that anyone's doing it, really. Most of the time I'm doing anything more complicated than pg_basebackup I've got more flexible tools at hand than psql too.

\gset should be a workaround for anyone who really wants to do this in psql for some reason.