Re: Statement timeout - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Statement timeout
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 3 June 2016 at 09:45, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> wrote:
> Well, multiple parse/bind/execute messages before a sync are definitely
> used by PgJDBC and nPgSQL for batching,

Yes, I realized in JDBC.

> and I just posted a patch for it
> for libpq.

I didn't noticed it. Could you give me the message id or URL?

> I am very surprised to find out that statement_timeout tracks the total
> time and isn't reset by a new statement, but I guess it makes sense - what,
> exactly, delimits a "query" in extended query mode? statement_timeout in
> simple-query mode starts at parse time and runs until the end of execute.
> In e.q.p. there might be only one parse, then a series of Bind and Execute
> messages, or there may be repeated Parse messages.

Another issue is inconsistency with log duration, which shows the the
elapsed time for each execute message. I think statement timeout
should be consistent with statement duration. Otherwise users will be
confused.

While I agree that's confusing, I think that's actualyl a problem with log_duration.

log_duration is really more of an internal trace parameter that should be named debug_log_duration or something IMO. It also fails to print the message type, which makes it even more confusing since it for a typical extended protocl query it usually logs 3 durations with no indication of which is what.

Users should be using log_min_duration_statement. You know, the confusingly named one. Or is it log_duration_min_statement or log_statement_min_duration or ...?

Yeah, log_duration is confusing to the point I think it needs a comment like "To record query run-time you probably want log_min_duration_statement, not log_duration".