Re: Time to get rid of PQnoPasswordSupplied? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Time to get rid of PQnoPasswordSupplied?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 22 June 2015 at 22:00, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> I do not follow Craig's argument that this is somehow connected to the
> wire protocol version.

Upon revisiting  it, neither do I. You know when you read code and
think "what idiot wrote this" ... then "git blame" says it was you? I,
at least, know that feeling... and that's what reading that part of
that email was like.

Tom's right, of course. It's libpq-to-client. The string "fe_sendauth:
no password supplied" never goes over the wire; it's a response libpq
generates in response to an auth failure ErrorResponse message from
the server. It's only relevant for libpq-based clients.

Lets change it. PgAdmin-III will need a patch, but that's about the
only client I found that would care.