Re: [bug fix] Produce a crash dump before main() on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: [bug fix] Produce a crash dump before main() on Windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 18 Jul 2018 at 12:10, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
At Wed, 18 Jul 2018 11:12:06 +0800, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote in <CAMsr+YHv0KfWhA+Z=UVydpvLQ-QyLaidBqpHxQ=YqTPiDGG6dg@mail.gmail.com>
> On 26 February 2018 at 12:06, Tsunakawa, Takayuki <
> tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
>
> > From: Craig Ringer [mailto:craig@2ndquadrant.com]
> > > The patch proposed here means that early crashes will invoke WER. If
> > we're
> > > going to allow WER we should probably just do so unconditionally.
> > >
> > > I'd be in favour of leaving WER on when we find out we're in a
> > noninteractive
> > > service too, but that'd be a separate patch for pg11+ only.
> >
> > As for PG11+, I agree that we want to always leave WER on.  That is, call
> > SetErrorMode(SEM_FAILCRITICALERRORS) but not specify
> > SEM_NOGPFAULTERRORBOX.  The problem with the current specification of
> > PostgreSQL is that the user can only get crash dumps in a fixed folder
> > $PGDATA\crashdumps.  That location is bad because the crash dumps will be
> > backed up together with the database cluster without the user noticing it.
> > What's worse, the crash dumps are large.  With WER, the user can control
> > the location and size of crash dumps.
> >

> Yeah, that's quite old and dates back to when Windows didn't offer much if
> any control over WER in services.

Yeah. If we want to take a crash dump, we cannot have
auto-restart. Since it is inevitable what we can do for this
would be adding a new knob for that, which cannot be turned on
together with restart_after_crash...?

Why?

Mind you, I don't much care about restart_after_crash, I think it's thoroughly obsolete. Windows has been capable of restarting failed services forever, and systemd does so too. There's little reason to have postgres try to do its own self-recovery now, and I prefer to disable it so the postmaster can cleanly exit and get a fresh new launch.

 2ndQuadrant - PostgreSQL Solutions for the Enterprise