Re: behave of --create-slot option - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: behave of --create-slot option
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 29 May 2018 at 03:41, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi

I am writing a article about PostgreSQL 11 features. Now I am looking on new option --create-slot option of pg_basebackup command.

I don't understand to use case for this option, because It fails when requested slot already exists. I cannot to imagine use case for this. If I write some scripts, then I prefer the behave like "create if doesn't exist or do nothing".

Any repeated running of script with this option should to fail. Is it required? Why?

The slot is intended to then be used by a replica that was created by pg_basebackup. I think it writes the slot name into recovery.conf; if it doesn't, it should.

So you use a unique slot name for each replica.