Re: Assertion failure when streaming logical changes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Assertion failure when streaming logical changes
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 10 February 2015 at 21:43, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2015-02-10 22:06:34 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 9:46 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Yea, it really looks like the above commit is to "blame". The new xmin
> > tracking infrastructure doesn't know about the historical snapshot...
> >

> I think that we need a better regression coverage here... For example, we
> could add some tap tests in test_decoding to test streaming of logical
> changes. This would help in the future to detect such problems via the
> buildfarm.

I agree. It's more or less a accident that the assert - which just
should be moved in the regd_count == 0 branch - didn't trigger for the
SQL interface. The snapshot acquired by the SELECT statement prevents it
there.

It's not entirely trivial to add tests for receivelogical though. You
need to stop it programatically after a while.

I reckon we should improve that then.

What about an idle timeout for pg_recvlogical, so we can get it to time out after (say) 5 seconds of no data? Time-based facilities aren't great in tests though.

The SQL interface can stop after a given number of changes received or a target LSN. Is there a practical reason pg_recvlogical doesn't? Or just that there wasn't a reason to implement it? I figured I'd ask before jumping in and trying to add it in case I'd be wasting my time trying.