Re: [HACKERS] On How To Shorten the Steep Learning Curve Towards PG Hacking... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: [HACKERS] On How To Shorten the Steep Learning Curve Towards PG Hacking...
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 28 Apr. 2017 17:04, "Kang Yuzhe" <tiggreen87@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Simon,
The journey that caused and is causing me a lot of pain is finding my way in PG development.
Complex Code Reading like PG. Fully understanding the science of DBMS Engines: Query Processing, Storage stuff, Transaction Management and so  on...

Anyway as you said, the rough estimation towards any expertise seems to be in abidance with by The 10,000 Hour Rule. I will strive based on this rule.

Start with not top-posting on the mailing list ;)

For now, would please tell me how to know the exact PG version to which a specific patch was developed?
Given x patch, how do I know the specific PG version it was developed for?

If it a was created by git format-patch then the base git revision will be shown. This may be a commit from postgres public tree that you can find with 'git branch --contains'.

Otherwise look at the proposed commit message if any, in the patch header. Or the email it was attached to. If all else fails guess based on the date.