Re: Why we lost Uber as a user - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Why we lost Uber as a user
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 17 August 2016 at 21:35, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> I saw from the Uber article that they weren't going to per-row logical
> replication but _statement_ replication, which is very hard to do
> because typical SQL doesn't record what concurrent transactions
> committed before a new statement's transaction snapshot is taken, and
> doesn't record lock order for row updates blocked by concurrent activity
> --- both of which affect the final result from the query.

I assume they can do SQL-level replication when there is no other
concurrent activity on the table, and row-based in other cases?

I don't know, but wouldn't want to assume that. A quick search suggests they probably define that away as nondeterministic behaviour that's allowed to cause master/replica differences, but no time to look deeply.