Re: Experimental dynamic memory allocation of postgresql shared memory - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Experimental dynamic memory allocation of postgresql shared memory
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 18 June 2016 at 02:42, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Aleksey Demakov <ademakov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Essentially this is pessimizing for the lowest common denominator
> among OSes.

I totally agree.  That's how we make the server portable.

> Having a contiguous address space makes things so
> much simpler that considering this case, IMHO, is well worth of it.

I think that would be great if you could make it work, but it has to
support Linux, Windows (all supported versions), MacOS X, all the
various BSD flavors for which we have buildfarm animals, and other
platforms that we currently run on like HP-UX.   If you come up with a
solution that works for this on all of those platforms, I will shake
your hand.  But I think that's probably impossible, or at least
really, really hard.

Indeed. In particular, ASLR on Windows or anywhere we EXEC_BACKEND will cause difficuties attaching to those segments.