Re: New 'pg' consolidated metacommand patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Isaac Morland
Subject Re: New 'pg' consolidated metacommand patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 27 May 2020 at 12:35, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ugh, yeah, please don't do that. Renaming them just to make it "look more modern" helps nobody, really. Especially if the suggestion is people should be using the shared-launcher binary anyway.

The way things like 'git' work is that 'git thunk' just looks in a
designated directory for an executable called git-thunk, and invokes
it if it's found. If you want to invent your own git subcommand, you
can. I guess 'git help' wouldn't know to list it, but you can still
get the metacommand to execute it. That only works if you use a
standard naming, though. If the meta-executable has to hard-code the
names of all the individual executables that it calls, then you can't
really make that work.

You could make the legacy names symlinks to the new systematic names.