Re: add \dpS to psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Isaac Morland
Subject Re: add \dpS to psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 at 00:07, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 07, 2022 at 11:48:20PM -0500, Isaac Morland wrote:
> For what it's worth, I wouldn't bother changing the format of the
> permission bits to expand the pool of available bits.

7b37823 expanded AclMode to 64 bits, so we now have room for 16 additional
privileges (after the addition of VACUUM and ANALYZE in b5d6382).

> My previous analysis
> shows that there is no vast hidden demand for new privilege bits. If we
> implement MAINTAIN to control access to VACUUM, ANALYZE, REFRESH, CLUSTER,
> and REINDEX, we will cover everything that I can find that has seriously
> discussed on this list, and still leave 3 unused bits for future expansion.

If we added CLUSTER, REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW, and REINDEX as individual
privilege bits, we'd still have 13 remaining for future use.

I was a bit imprecise. I was comparing to the state before the recent changes - so 12 bits used out of 16, with MAINTAIN being the 13th bit. I think in my mind it's still approximately 2019 on some level.