Re: proposal \gcsv - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Isaac Morland
Subject Re: proposal \gcsv
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 1 Apr 2020 at 11:52, Daniel Verite <daniel@manitou-mail.org> wrote:
        Tom Lane wrote:

>  I could see having a command to copy the current primary formatting
> parameters to the alternate area, too.

We could have a stack to store parameters before temporary
changes, for instance if you want to do one csv export and
come back to normal without assuming what "normal"
values were.

I think it might be a good idea to decide whether psql is to be a programming environment, or just a command shell.

If it is to be a programming environment, we should either adopt an existing language or strike a committee of programming language experts to design a new one.

If it is to be a command shell, new features should be evaluated in part on whether they move psql significantly closer to being a programming language and rejected if they do.