Re: Compression In Postgresql 9.6 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shital A
Subject Re: Compression In Postgresql 9.6
Date
List pgsql-general

On Mon, 5 Aug 2019, 12:42 Ron, <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
On 8/5/19 1:30 AM, Shital A wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Need inputs on below:
>
> We are working on a setting up a new highly transactional (tps 100k) OLTP
> system for payments using blockchain and postgresql 9.6 as DB on Rhel 7.6.
> Postgres version is 9.6 and not latest because of specs of blockchain
> component.
>
> There is a requirement for data compression on DB level. Please provide
> your inputs on how this can be best achieved.

Column-level compression?  Because some data just doesn't compress well.

> Checked in-build Toast, it compressed the data provided exceed the 2kb
> pagesize? If the data values are small and even if there are billion
> records they wont be compressed, this is what I understood.
>
> Are there any suggestions of compressing older data irrespective of row
> size transparently?

Are your tables partitioned?

Thanks for your reply, Ron.
Any reference link that can help to understand column level compression in Postgrace?

Tables are not partitioned.

Thanks!