Re: Supporting = operator in gin/gist_trgm_ops - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Supporting = operator in gin/gist_trgm_ops
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 12:31 AM Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov@gmail.com> wrote:

I went through and revised this patch.  I made the documentation
statement less categorical.  pg_trgm gist/gin indexes might have lower
performance of equality operator search than B-tree.  So, we can't
claim the B-tree index is always not needed.  Also, simple comparison
operators are <, <=, >, >=, and they are not supported.

Is "simple comparison" here a well-known term of art?  If I read the doc as committed (which doesn't include the sentence above), and if I didn't already know what it was saying, I would be left wondering which comparisons those are.  Could we just say "inequality operators"?

Cheers,

Jeff