Re: Suggested new CF status: "Pending Discussion" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Suggested new CF status: "Pending Discussion"
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Monday, March 4, 2013, Robert Haas wrote:
On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 9:27 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> I thought it was a useful idea anyway, but I could see his point.  This
>> should probably move to "Waiting on Author" when it happens, presuming
>> that the person who wrote something is motivated to see the change
>> committed.  (If they weren't, why did they write it?)
>
> Except that the implication of "waiting on author" is that, if there's
> no updates in a couple weeks, we bounce it.  And the author doesn't
> necessarily control a bikeshedding discussion about syntax, for example.

That's true.  I think, though, that the basic problem is that we've
lost track of the ostensible purpose of a CommitFest, which is to
commit the patches that *are already ready* for commit.

Is that true of all commitfests, or only the last one in a cycle?  If the former, I think the existence of the "waiting on author" category belies this point.

 Very little
of the recently-committed stuff was ready to commit on January 15th,
or even close to it, and the percentage of what's left that falls into
that category is probably dropping steadily.  At this point, if
there's not a consensus on it, the correct status is "Returned with
Feedback".  Specifically, the feedback that we're not going to commit
it this CommitFest because we don't have consensus on it yet.

That is a fair point, and I think Tom has said something similar.  But it leaves open the question of who it is that is supposed to be implementing it.  Is it the commit-fest manager who decides there is not sufficient consensus, or the author, or a self-assigned reviewer?

I know that I certainly would not rush into an ongoing a conversation, in which several of the participants have their commit-bits, and say "I'm calling myself the reviewer and am calling it dead, please stop discussing this."  Or even just, "stop discussing it as an item for 9.3".

I think the role of the commit-fest manager is that of a traffic-cop, not a magistrate.  But if we are going to have "Commitfest II: The summary judgement", that needs to be run by a magistrate, as a separate process from the ordinary part of a commitfest.

Cheers,

Jeff