Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Dec 13, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 12/12/2014 06:02 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Speaking as the originator of commitfests, they were *always* intended
> to be a temporary measure, a step on the way to something else like
> continuous integration.

I'd really like to see the project revisit some of the underlying
assumptions that're being made in this discussion:

- Patches must be email attachments to a mailing list

- Changes must be committed by applying a diff

... and take a look at some of the options a git-based workflow might
offer, especially in combination with some of the tools out there that
help track working branches, run CI, etc.

Having grown used to push/pull workflows with CI integration I find the
PostgreSQL patch workflow very frustrating, especially for larger
patches. It's particularly annoying to see a patch series squashed into
a monster patch whenever it changes hands or gets rebased, because it's
being handed around as a great honking diff not a git working branch.

Is it time to stop using git like CVS?

Perhaps it is just my inexperience with it, but I find the way that mediawiki, for example, uses git to be utterly baffling. The git log is bloated with the same change being listed multiple times, at least once as a commit and again as a merge. If your suggestion would be to go in that direction, I don't think that would be an improvement.

Cheers,

Jeff