Re: How to keep queries low latency as concurrency increases - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: How to keep queries low latency as concurrency increases
Date
Re: How to keep queries low latency as concurrency increases  (Catalin Iacob <iacobcatalin@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Marko Kreen <markokr@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 1:53 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On a 4 CPU machine, if I run pgbench -c10 -j10 with dummy queries
>> (like "select 1;" or "set timezone...") against 2 instances of
>> pgbouncer, I get nearly twice the throughput as if I use only one
>> instance.
>>
>> A rather odd workload, maybe, but it does seem to be similar to the
>> one that started this thread.
>
> Every-connection-is-busy is pessimal workload for pgbouncer,
> as it has nothing useful to contribute to setup, just overhead.

It still has something to contribute if connections are made and
broken too often (pgbench -C type workload), as seems to be the case
here.

If he can get an application-side pooler (or perhaps just a change in
configuration) such that the connections are not made and broken so
often, then removing pgbouncer from the loop would probably be a win.

Cheers,

Jeff