Re: Fast AT ADD COLUMN with DEFAULTs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Fast AT ADD COLUMN with DEFAULTs
Date
Re: Fast AT ADD COLUMN with DEFAULTs  (Pantelis Theodosiou <ypercube@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 3:29 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
On 2016-10-05 15:23:05 -0700, Vitaly Burovoy wrote:
> On 10/5/16, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > On 2016-10-05 11:58:33 -0700, Serge Rielau wrote:
> >> Dear Hackers,
> >> I’m working on a patch that expands PG’s ability to add columns to a table
> >> without a table rewrite (i.e. at O(1) cost) from the
> >> nullable-without-default to a more general case.
> >
> > If I understand this proposal correctly, altering a column default will
> > still have trigger a rewrite unless there's previous default?
>
> No, "a second “exist default"" was mentioned, i.e. it is an additional
> column in a system table (pg_attribute) as default column values of
> the "pre-alter" era. It solves changing of the default expression of
> the same column later.

Don't think that actually solves the issue. The default might be unset
for a while, for example. Essentially you'd need to be able to associate
arbitrary number of default values with an arbitrary set of rows.

ALTER TABLE foo ALTER COLUMN withdefault DROP DEFAULT;
INSERT id = 1;
ALTER TABLE foo ALTER COLUMN withdefault SET DEFAULT 1;
ALTER TABLE foo ALTER COLUMN withdefault DROP DEFAULT;
INSERT id = 2;
ALTER TABLE foo ALTER COLUMN withdefault SET DEFAULT 2;
ALTER TABLE foo ALTER COLUMN withdefault DROP DEFAULT;
INSERT id = 3;
ALTER TABLE foo ALTER COLUMN withdefault SET DEFAULT 3;

The result here would be that there's three rows with a default value
for foo that's the same as their id. None of them has that column
present in the row.

My understanding is that all of those would be materialized.  The only default that isn't materialized is the one in effect in the same statement in which that column was added.  Since a column can only be added once, the default in effect at the time the column was added can never change, no matter what you do to the default later on.

Cheers,

Jeff