Re: Using a CTE for an update - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Using a CTE for an update
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 2:37 PM, David Salisbury <salisbury@globe.gov> wrote:

I would think this would be possible.  I'm on 9.0.8

I have a reference between two tables, and want to populate a field in one table
with a value that's in the referenced table ( based on the FK reference of course ).

with row as ( select my.atmos_site_id, my.stationid from my_stations my, atmos_sites asites where my.atmos_site_id = asites.id )
update atmos_sites set stationid = row.stationid where id = row.atmos_site_id;

This ability was introduced in 9.1.

"Allow WITH clauses to be attached to INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE statements (Marko Tiikkaja, Hitoshi Harada)"

Also, you need a "from row" phrase on you update command.

Cheers,

Jeff