Re: TRACE_SORT defined by default - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: TRACE_SORT defined by default
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 6:04 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> writes:

> In
> any case the current status quo is that it's built by default. I have
> used it in production, though not very often. It's easy to turn it on
> and off.

Would any non-wizard really have a use for it?

I've had people use it to get some insight into the operation and memory usage of Aggregate nodes, since those nodes offer nothing useful via EXPLAIN ANALYZE.  It would be a shame to lose that ability on package-installed PostgreSQL unless we fix Aggregate node reporting first.

Cheers,

Jeff