Re: Sample databases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Sample databases
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday, January 16, 2013, Vraj Mohan wrote:
Is there a good sample database (with decent data volumes) for
postgresql? I am interested in one for learning and automated testing.

What do you mean by decent data volumes?  Numbers and units are wonderful things!

What things are you looking to learn and test automatically?  I like to learn about and test performance, and I find pgbench often quite good for doing that.

If you want to learn and test a framework like Django or Rails or whatever the latest and greatest is, I would think that those frameworks would provide their own sample data for doing that.

I looked at http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbsamples/ (specifically at
pagila), but it seemed incomplete and not maintained,

Is there a specific thing about the completeness that concerns you?

Not being maintained doesn't bother me, unless of course it is actually broken in the first place.  Data is data.  It isn't like programs, which decay over time.

Have you looked at the Dell DVD store?  It is also on that site you linked above, but it seems to be more up to date on Dell's own site.

I also looked at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/index-other.html. Employee
data (large dataset, includes data and test/verification suite) looks
interesting. Is there anything similar for postgresql?

I don't know enough about it to say.  The data itself should probably not be all that hard to port (easy to say for someone who doesn't have to do it...).  The verification suite, on the other hand, might be.  Is that your primary interest, the code and not the data?

Is there a dataset used by postgresql development for testing?

There is a regression database used by "make check", but it is designed to test specific features of the database system that people worried might get broken by future work, not to provide a cohesive thing that looks like a web application.

Cheers,

Jeff