Re: Why doesn't COPY support the HEADER options for tab-separated output? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Why doesn't COPY support the HEADER options for tab-separated output?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 02:15:25PM -0700, Joe Van Dyk wrote:
>> Mostly just curious, as this is preventing me from using tab-separated output.
>> I'd like there to be a header in my files. I have to use CSVs instead.
>
> [ "this" means the fact that COPY doesn't support the HEADER option. ]
>
> We assume CSV is going to be read into a tool that can use the header
> names;  delimited files don't usually have a use for those headers.

There have been a few cases where I wanted this, too.  I can see why
implementing it is less important than having it for CSV, but is there
a reason to consider this harmful for TEXT format?  I.e. if someone
submitted a patch, would it be rejected?

Cheers,

Jeff