Re: Postgres Pain Points: 1 pg_hba conf - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Postgres Pain Points: 1 pg_hba conf
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 10:04 AM, support-tiger <support@tigernassau.com> wrote:
> We have always been impressed with the Postgres project and team. The whole
> hybrid SQL / JSONB functionality rocks.  The scalability rocks.  The speed
> and stability rock.  At the command line, Postgres rocks.  But in
> applications we have had some real, and not improving pain points:
>
> #1) pg_hba conf
> Out of the box the md5 setting blocks access.

That depends on which box you got it out of.  If you compile the
source yourself, its default settings are 'trust', not 'md5'.

If you get it from a repository, it is up to the repository's policies
and/or the packager's tastes to decide what defaults to use.

In my hands, md5 blocks access exactly when it should, when the user
fails to provide the valid password.

If you want things to be improved, you will have to be more specific
about what problem you are having, and what package you are using.

Cheers,

Jeff