Re: Standalone synchronous master - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: Standalone synchronous master
Date
Re: Standalone synchronous master  ("Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 2:30 AM, Alexander Björnhagen
<alex.bjornhagen@gmail.com> wrote:
> At this point I feel that this new functionality might be a bit
> overkill for postgres, maybe it's better to stay lean and mean rather
> than add a controversial feature like this.

I don't understand why this is controversial.  In the current code, if
you have a master and a single sync standby, and the master disappears
and you promote the standby, now the new master is running *without a
standby*.  If you are willing to let the new master run without a
standby, why are you not willing to let the
the old one do so if it were the standby which failed in the first place?

Cheers,

Jeff