Re: "Unlogged indexes" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: "Unlogged indexes"
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 4:43 PM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 5:53 AM, Yang Zhang <yanghatespam@gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah, I know that indexes for unlogged tables are unlogged.  I was
just wondering if you could do this for logged tables.  (Safely, such
that on crash recovery WAL replay won't throw up, these can be omitted
from base backups, etc.)
No, you cannot create unlogged indexes on logged tables. An unlogged tables is
truncated when a server starts after a crash, and so are its indexes that become
empty by default. But having an unlogged index on a logged table would mean that
you would need to truncate and regenerate the index after a crash as the data of
the normal table is still here,

The other option would be to mark the index as invalid, rather than rebuilding it.  But both of those options are hard  to implement, as recovery cannot change the system catalogs, which  I think would be needed to implement either one.

what would impact the performance boot of the server.
Do you have a particular use-case in mind? I cannot see advantages directly
advantages in having an unlogged index on a logged table...

If your index is small but intensely updated, then not WAL during normal use could save a lot of time; while rebuilding after an instance crash could take negligible time.

But from some of Yang's other recent email, I think he is more interested in not backing up his very large indexes, and rebuilding them if media recovery is needed.  That is obviously more of a trade off, but it seems like a choice people should be able to make, if it were easy to implement.

Cheers,

Jeff