Re: log_statement per table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: log_statement per table
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 7:07 AM, Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com> wrote:

On Mar 4, 2014, at 2:19 AM, David Janssens <david.j@almacom.co.th> wrote:

> Hello,
> I would like to log statements that modify a small subset of tables in a databases.
> (not all tables, because the log files become too big in that case and I also worry about performance)
> I currently use log_statement='mod' but I didn't find a way to limit this to the set of tables I want.
> What is the best way to do this?

You might want to look at trigger based audit logs.

Some example code, and a couple of useful packages:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/plpgsql-trigger.html#PLPGSQL-TRIGGER-AUDIT-EXAMPLE
https://github.com/disqus/pg_audit
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/tablelog/
http://jimmyg.org/blog/2007/audit-tables-in-postgresql-with-debian.html
http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/104.php

I don't know about the other packages, but I would recommend against "tablelog".  While I'm happy with what it does (once hand-patched to work with modern versions of the server), it is an abandoned project with no apparent avenue for reviving it.  I wouldn't recommend becoming dependent on such "living dead" software if you are not already.

Cheers,

Jeff