Re: UPDATEDs slowing SELECTs in a fully cached database - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff Janes
Subject Re: UPDATEDs slowing SELECTs in a fully cached database
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 7/29/11, lars hofhansl <lhofhansl@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks Pavan!
>

> I think the most important points are still that:
> 1. The WAL write should be happening asynchronously (if that is possible)

I think it is agreed that this is a "todo"; but since you reported
that turning off synchronous commit did not improve performance, it is
not directly relevant for you.

> 2. There should be an option do not perform these compactions if the page is
> only touched by reads.

If the page is only touched by reads, there would be nothing to compact.

Cheers,

Jeff